The Melodifestivalen 2023 format was tweaked, more specifically in the semi-final. This is Sweden’s selection for the Eurovision Song Contest (ESC).
This semi-final is a kind of second chance round. According to the newspaper Aftonbladet, the broadcaster SVT decided to put the eight songs competing all at once instead of separating them into two groups (with four each). The four most voted by the public per age groups will qualify for the final.
In addition, halfway through the show, the results in that moment will be presented to the public: the audience will be informed on which songs are in the qualifying positions, in a random order. Afterwards, there will be one more chance to vote before the live presentation of the final results. It will also be revealed which song was most popular in each age group.
Melodifestivalen 2023 will take place from February 4 to March 11 in several Swedish cities. The grand final is in the capital, Stockholm.
Melodifestivalen 2023 dates and venues
- Heat 1: February 4, 2023 in Gothenburg (Scandinavium)
- Heat 2: February 11, 2023 in Linköping (Saab Arena)
- Heat 3: February 18, 2023 in Lidköping (Savings Banks Lidköping Arena)
- Heat 4: February 25, 2023 in Malmö (Malmö Arena)
- Semifinal: March 4, de 2023 in Örnsköldsvik (Hägglunds Arena)
- Grand Final: March 11, 2023 in Stockholm (Friends Arena)